Although Italy is best known for their amazing pizza and pasta, they can still hold their own when it comes to eggs – This baked eggs recipes brings together a whole bunch of dynamic and flavoursome ingredients that is simple to make but guaranteed to impress. Combining nutmeg, pine nuts, crème fraiche with other fresh ingredients this is one baked egg recipe you’ll come back to again and again.
Ready to have a go? Great! Here’s what you need to do…
What you need (serves 4)
- 30ml / 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 350g / 12oz spinach leaves, washed
- 1 (15g) pack basil leaves, chopped
- 2.5ml / 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 4 large Lion Quality eggs
- 60ml / 4 tbsp half fat crème fraiche
- 25g / 1oz grated Parmesan cheese
- 25g / 1oz pine nuts
- salt and pepper
Two steps to baked egg heaven!
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 5 mins or until golden.
- Add the garlic, then stir in the spinach.
- Cover the pan and cook for 3 mins, shaking the pan occasionally until the leaves are wilted. Transfer to a sieve, then squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Return to the pan, add the basil, nutmeg and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the spinach between four small ovenproof dishes, and make a well in the centre of the mixture.
- Carefully crack an egg into each dish. Spoon over crème fraiche, scatter over the cheese, and pine nuts then bake for 10-15mins or until the eggs are set.
All done! If this has whetted your appetite for baked egg recipes, you’re in luck – we have a whole bunch! Have a go at this Spanish baked eggs recipe or these baked-rice stuffed peppers or just visit our baked eggs section and see what else is out there.